Using a Gua Sha for Midlife Skincare
Last updated on May 14th, 2023 at 12:33 pm
This post contains affiliate links.
Using a Gua Sha on your face is a traditional Chinese practice used for thousands of years to improve skin health. You use a flat tool, typically made of jade or quartz, to scrape the skin in upward strokes. Gua sha stimulates blood flow and reduce inflammation. It also helps with lymphatic drainage, which can have a positive impact on the appearance and health of your skin.
Let’s dig into the history of gua sha, the benefits of using a gua sha for your face as part of your skincare routine, and how to use it effectively.
History of Gua Sha
The practice of gua sha has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for over 2,000 years. The word “gua” means to scrape, and “sha” refers to the redness on the skin after you do it. Gua sha was originally used to treat a variety of issues, like headaches, muscle pain, and respiratory issues.
I don’t know if I buy into any of that, but gua sha today gua sha is used to help our faces look a bit more snatched and hopefully a bit healthier.
Benefits of Gua Sha for Skincare
Gua sha can provide a range of benefits for your skin, including:
- Improved circulation: The scraping motion of gua sha increases blood flow to the skin. This improves delivery of oxygen and nutrients to the cells. The impact is brighter, more radiant complexion. (Gurrrrl!)
- Reduced inflammation: Gua sha may reduce skin inflammation, which is really good for those with acne or rosacea. The scraping motion breaks up congested areas and promotes lymphatic drainage. This reduces puffiness and helps give you a more even skin tone.
- Firmer, more toned skin: Gua sha may help with the production of collagen, which is essential for healthy, youthful-looking skin. Gua sha may also help to lift and firm the skin, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. That, my friends, is the main benefit I personally am after now that I am 50 years old!
How to Use Gua Sha for Your Face
“Gua sha demonstration” by Earth To You is licensed under CC BY 3.0 .
A gua sha tool is a flat semi-heart-shaped tool made of jade, quartz or even metal. You can find gua sha facial tools online, Target, Walmart, Ulta, you name it.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Cleanse your skin: Start by cleansing your skin and removing any makeup or dirt.
- Apply a gua sha face oil or serum: Apply a few drops of your favorite facial oil or serum to your skin. This will help the gua sha tool to glide smoothly over your skin.
- Begin scraping: Hold the gua sha tool at a 45-degree angle. Gently scrape your skin in upward strokes. Start at the center of your face and work your way outwards, focusing on your cheeks, jawline, and forehead. Use light to medium pressure, and be careful not to apply too much pressure or scrape too aggressively.
- Repeat on the other side: Once you have finished one side of your face, repeat the process on the other side.
- Cleanse your gua sha tool: Clean your gua sha tool with soap and water after each use to keep it hygienic.
When using gua sha, it’s important to be gentle and avoid using too much pressure. The goal is to stimulate blood flow and lymphatic drainage, not to cause pain or discomfort. You can use gua sha once or twice a week as part of your skincare routine.